Employing Foreign Nationals

Employing Foreign Nationals

Effective March 1, 2020

The Residence Card Number is mandatory for filing of Notification of employment status of foreign employees

Upon employment or at the time of their resignation, employers are obligated to file the ‘Notification of Employment Status of Foreign Employees (NESFE)’ Gaikokujin koyoujyoukyou todokedesho including information on the Residence Card such as the name of and the status of residency to the Public Employment Security Office. As a substitute to filing the NESFE, the employer may indicate the status of residency and period of stay in the remarks section of the unemployment insurance registration or de-registration form.

In addition to the above mentioned information, the Residence Card Number (comprised of 2 letters – 8 digits – 2 letters stated on the top right of the Residence Card) must be written on the NESFE. Until the format of the unemployment insurance registration or de-registration form reflects this new requirement, the number should be written on a supplementary form and filed together with the registration or de-registration form. Furthermore, a section to upload the Residence Card is available on our Employee Profile System (EPS). Please inform your employees of this function when they are providing us information of their Residence Card.

Note: Companies employing foreign employees are obligated to verify whether the Residence Card is up-to-date.http://www.mhlw.go.jp/bunya/koyou/gaikokujin.html